Saturday 11 April 2009

First Entry for my First Week

This may be quite a long entry, plenty to write about. I shall attempt to update this here blog everyday, which would make total sense I'm sure. This will also be combined reading with my other blog which I will no doubt use for random non related musings. Anyhoo I digress.

Where to start? Oh yeah the beginning would be a good place, no point in starting a story midway through now is there.

I flew out on Sunday 5th April. The day started off with relatively few dramas, I said my goodbyes to Bonny in the morning and to Chris in the afternoon. We got to the airport and it wasn't too bad until I had to check in. Stupid bitch behind the counter had the worst attitude, so much for services with a smile. Basically, I had two bags to check in and she went off on one about how I was only entitled to one bag. I explained that I was actually emigrating, she tutted at me and said "There is a special immigration ticket". I explained I was not aware of this and could she not upgrade, nope not a chance you have to pay 300 quid. There was no sorry for the inconvenience or anything she just gave me total attitude and I really can't be bothered with people like that as if I wasn't stressed enough. But c'est la vie it got paid by my mum who I then gave 150 quid to, in order to make up for it. Aunt Jean and Uncle Graham appeared and we went for a drink. Chatted for a while about the completely backwards way that the airport is laid out now, then it was time for me to depart. Photos were taken and there were many tears, even from my Dad. So off I trot to the appropriate gate where I get food and my last bottle of Irn Bru, which incidentally I didn't finish.

Time to board the first part of the journey. Glasgow to London (oh the joys of that). Easiest flight ever if truth be told. Hell I've had bus journeys longer than that flight, which I realised while on the flight. Upon realising this a few home truths set in. If the shit hits the fan while I am in Australia I can't just hop on a train or a bus or a plane or even drive to get home to mummy and in fact what I am doing takes some amount of nerve. Not that I am making digs about anyone in particular hehe.

Couple of hours waiting about in London or rather trying to figure my way around the damn place. Time for the second leg of the one way trip. London to Singapore, which by the way is 12hours 15minutes long and did I sleep, nope well not properly. I rested for maybe an hour tops. What the hell do you do for 12 hours with no place to go? Well I watched two rather long movies. The first one being Australia, ironically enough which is absolutely brilliant I must say. Now have a wee bit of a thing for Hugh Jackman, that's aided by the fact that he was all rough and ready and being a real man in the film, plus his Aussie accent...mmm. Anyway. The second movie I watched was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which although a bit of a slow burner was fantastic. Very heart warming tale. The food on the plane was actually really tasty. I had red snapper in a herb butter with fresh veg, very filling. Not to mention the bag of snacks the staff walked around with later in the flight, way to keep you awake lol. Landed in Singapore, which is the cleanest airport I have ever been in, you could eat your dinner off the floor if that's what you felt like. The only other airport that I have seen that clean was Amsterdam.

So Monday basically never happened. Had a few hours to waste in Singapore so played about with my Rubicks Cube, which I fail at but hey it kept my hands busy. Time for the almost final part of my journey, the flight from Singapore to Brisbane, approximately 7hours long. Got fed Asian pork with noddles for dinner and then breakfast. Watched two more movies, it was great actually the movies I picked were all movies that I had been meaning to see in the cinema, so that worked out nicely for me. I watched Slumdog Millionare, what a wonderful movie, definitely worthy of the 8 oscars that it was awarded, very real tale and interesting how they went about it. Kudos to Danny Boyle lol. Then just for a bit of silliness I watched the Jim Carey film YES man! And actually a lot of it made perfect sense to me. I will try to say yes more often and see what opportunities arise. Very amusing film. But then I would say that because I love Jim Carey movies. Caught maybe another hour of sleep if you can call it that.

Landed in Brisbane later than expected, got picked up by Beth and Bill. Case burst, damn airport staff not giving a rats about any potential damage they cause. Got in the car and Beth & Bill decided they needed something to eat. So we stopped in McD's or Maccers as it's shortened to here. First thing I notice, an entire restaurant of footie/rugby players, drool much. Yes that is the type of man I am looking for, someone to really get my claws into, seeing as the other one is a world away :)

Beth & Bill dropped me off at Lynn's place cos they were going camping during the weekend for Easter. I actually slept for 24hours when I arrived, which is ridiculous but I clearly needed it, after all 27 + hours is a long time to be travelling.

Great thing about this week is I seem to have slotted in with Adam and Wayne's group of friends very easily. I especially get on with Caitlin, Adam's girlfriend. On Wednesday I was taken along to Adam's football game, well more five a sides really. It was the final, and Adam's team only lost on a technical error. They were actually robbed, they should have won. Anyway they played well and that at least counts for something. Afterwards we all piled to Hungry Jack's, just a burger joint but hey. Cait said I could stick around cos I told Adam to stop being so lazy. Fun and games. Headed to a pub called The North, where I played some pool with the guys and again failed miserably at that, but hey I will get better with time. Good times actually, and at least I can laugh at myself.

Thursday I spent most of the day driving about. First I went on a run with Wayne while he picked up stuff for the workshop and I decided that actually yes my life will work out very nice over here and why the hell shouldn't it, I bloody well deserve it after the year I had last year. Then later in the day went shopping for a few bits and pieces that I needed. Thursday night went for a drive with Adam so he could fix a friends computer. Very nice couple actually although it would have been nice if Adam had warned me that they were mormons, who obviously don't drink and there I was talking about hangover cures. Thanks for that Adam!

So finally yesterday! Spent the day helping Cait to clean and prepare dinner for the family and somehow in the process managed to cut my nail completely down to the quick with a bloody peeler. How? Bloody hurt too. Spent the evening with Adam & Cait. Cait's family and Adam's family. It was good fun. I was surprised to hear Cait's gran talking about playing WoW. That's so cool in my eyes. I wish I could get my Dad to get online but he has none of it. His words "I'm a dinosaur when it comes to these things" Ah well c'est la vie.

And today is Saturday, was supposed to go 4 Wheel driving but Wayne decided against it so instead I am going out drinking with Adam and Cait. Yay!

More later or tomorrow whichever comes first.
Sorry if I droned on, but you all love me anyway.
Vicky ***

No comments:

Post a Comment